Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Dogs and dandelions

Our dog has begun eating dandelions on his walks with my husband, so much so that my husband has complained it has really added to the time it takes to get through their regular route.

We checked with our vet to be sure dandelions aren't toxic and she said no, they aren't, and can actually be beneficial. I did some research and found that dandelions can help with an assortment of ailments such as allergies, arthritis, constipation, diabetes, diuretic, kidney disease, liver disease, mild pain and urinary disorders. They contain vitamins A, B, C, and E, plus potassium, calcium, and iron to act as a tonic for the urinary system and liver.

Since Mickey is on PhenoBarbitol for seizures, a medication that can cause liver problems, I see this as a unique way of possibly staving off those problems. (One caution: if you allow your dog to eat dandelions be sure they are chemical free--no pesticides--and be aware they are a diuretic. Lots of potty breaks will be needed! Also, dandelions aren't recommended for dogs or cats with bile duct or gallbladder disorders.)

Maybe Mickey's really smart and a naturopath at heart. Or maybe he just likes dandelions. Either way, our yard will be weed-free this summer.

3 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Nora said...

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge about dandelions, which I discovered while doing research to help a client with a dog who loves to eat them.

Thanks also for caring enough about animals to post information about how we can all help protect them. I have a website called www.NoMoreVetBills.com where I teach people how to feed their dogs so that they never get sick. You may not be aware that most dog disease is directly caused by commercial pet foods. Most people are also not aware that even existing sickness can be reversed with dietary improvement. Your dog Mickey may benefit from a change of diet. I once had in my care a Siberian Husky whose epilepsy became much more manageable after her owners started feeding her properly. Her seizures were much less frequent and she was able to go off drugs. As a gesture of appreciation I'd be happy to send you my booklet about proper feeding free of charge.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Nora said...

Btw I see that you are in Kirkland. We are neighbors as I am in Bellevue. :) Here is my primary email address: nmlenz@speakeasy.net. I don't check Gmail much.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was walking my 12 week old Shih-tzu, Brody, today and was shocked to see him munching on dandelions. I immediately began to remove them from his mouth, but after reading this, I think I'll just let him munch away. Bon appetite, Brody!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home